Monday, February 14, 2011

The Taliban and other Tales

The girls go to swimming lessons on Monday nights. They almost have all of their strokes "passed off" so they are now working on more technique. Before their lessons there is a group of high school kids that are working on their techniques. I was talking to Maryn and showing her some of the high schooler's techniques when she said "whoa, that girl is wearing makeup." I asked her why she commented on that. She said "I don't like makeup at all." I asked why. She said it was "too sassy." I guess that is okay since I am makeup challenged. I didn't wear makeup until well into college so it will work out if she continues to not like makeup because I couldn't help her use it if she liked it.

Bryn lost her scooter last fall. Well, to be exact, it was stolen. We had gone to soccer practice. Parked it in the bike rack right next Maryn's bike. And went to soccer practice. When soccer was done, we walked over and it was gone. We looked everywhere. I told Bryn to check at the school the next day because maybe someone took it by accident and would return it. (Her name was written on the bottom). No such luck. She is a sentimental kid. She cries over toys when she realizes she no longer has them. Or a t-shirt that she outgrew and I had donated. Anyway, I thought we had moved past this. We bought a new, more pink, scooter. Apparently, someone at school showed up with a scooter that looked a lot like her old scooter. It wasn't Bryn's, she checked. But it made her remember her lost scooter. This went on for a few days--her checking the bottoms of everyone's scooters and her talking on the way home from school about why someone would take her scooter. One day she quit talking about it. I was hoping it had passed again. But Sydney's dad (Sydney is Bryn's friend), came up to me and told me that Bryn has discovered who stole her scooter. I asked him who she has suspected, scared that she was started to accuse her classmates when she had no grounds to. He said that she had come up to him after school and told him that the Taliban had stolen her scooter.

No comments: