Maryn--this has been such a great year with her. She used to be this extremely shy little girl. She wouldn't talk to anyone and was content with being home and in peace and quiet. Although she still likes her quiet afternoons with just her and I, she has branched out and become quite the play date girl. We averaged at least 1 per week with some weeks having them most days. She has developed a couple of close friendships with two girls in particular, Avery and Kellyanne. Every day she asks if one of them can come over. She is excited to start first grade because both of these girls will be in her class. Maryn has also shown a great interest in Marine life. It is fun to see what her interests have developed into this year. She says she either wants to be a vet or a marine biologist. We will see how this changes throughout the year.
I was also very excited with her desire to try knew things. She loves to sign up for classes and anything involving learning she is up for. This year she tried soccer, girl scouts and swimming and has expressed a desire to continue those next year. I am excited to see how she will grow next year.
Bryn--what can I say. It is always a lively time with this girl. She loved first grade but mainly because she had some caring teachers that really let her do a lot of things that she loved--writing stories and putting on plays. It has become quite clear that Bryn is my creative child. She probably writes 3 or 4 stories per day and a few plays each week. The plays she either recruits the neighborhood kids or some of her classmates to act in. I love cleaning out her room and finding these stories. I now have a stash of my own. This year one of her teachers let her put on a play in class and cast the characters. She did tell me she had to fire one of the actors because they weren't acting the part correctly. Another one of her teachers let her put on a power point presentation. She read a story about a bat and wanted to find more information about bats and present it to her class. When she presented it her pictures weren't coming through on the teacher's computer but she didn't care, she finished the presentation and loved it. She has really had some great teachers. She wrote a story this year about flowers and her teacher bound it for her. One more thing about Bryn that I feel is noteworthy--her love of words. Not her spelling of words--she needs a little work on that--but her use and desire to know words. One example just recently was at her power point presentation. I asked if any of her friends asked any questions and she said that Kennedy did. I asked what Kennedy asked and Bryn said "she asked what inspired me to do a powerpoint on bats" she went on to say "well she didn't say that exactly, she asked what made me want to do a powerpoint on bats but I wished she had used the word inspired."
As far as friendships--Bryn is the opposite of Maryn. While Maryn likes a few close friends, Bryn philosophy seems to be the more the merrier. Each day it seems she has a new best friend. I signed her up for soccer and she didn't care that she didn't know any of the girls on the team. She made some good friends and really enjoyed it by the end of the season.
We are looking forward to a fun summer with some trips to Montana, swimming at the pool, going to the water park and swim team.
No comments:
Post a Comment