Monday, May 25, 2009

Funny things kids say

I wish that I had this blog when the girls were much younger as it is highly entertaining to listen to young kids talk. This post will be entirely devoted to funny comments that the girls have made lately.

* Getting Bryn to go to bed has always been a task. She is so preoccupied and obsessed with playing and doing things that she doesn't like to sleep. One time she asked me to hold her eyes open so she could play. If she gets woken up at any time in the night she will be ready to get out of bed and play--it doesn't matter what time it is. Anyway, the other night I had put them to bed and Bryn is in her bed talking and talking and talking. So, Maryn goes into her room to tell her to be quiet. I can hear this from the office but I don't want to interrupt. I want to see how they handle this. After a few minutes Maryn is still in Bryn's room so I go to tell them to go to sleep. I tell Maryn that she needs to get into bed. She says "I can't Bryn is trying to hypnotize me to stay and play in her room with her."

* The other day I painted Maryn's toenails. After they dried we walked over to Bryn's school to pick her up. Maryn showed Bryn her toes and said "Bryn you can get your toenails painted too." Bryn said "I don't want to Maryn. I have to sit and have them done and then wait until they dry and then I can't play while I am waiting."

* Bryn always amazes me with her vocabulary. She loves to ask what words mean and then she uses them all of the time. One day she was asking me what epic meant and wouldn't let me just give her a vague answer. After my explanation she said "so the mountains are epic?" We ended up calling grandpa to get a better explanation. So the other night, Bryn was once again trying to get out of going to bed. She comes into the kitchen after I had tucked her in. She says "mom, my ear hurts and the hurt is unfamiliar to me."

* The other night Ian and I were telling Maryn how great it is that she is able to calm herself down so well. She rarely, if ever, throws a tantrum and if you tell her no she says that she understands and usually follows with "maybe next time." It is amazing how agreeable she is. Anyway, we were explaining to her how nice it is of her to calm down. She says "that is how I am going to get what I want in life."

* Over the weekend grandma took the girls swimming several times. Whenever we go anywhere, Bryn always has to bring a stash of toys and other things to play with. She has to bring something everywhere we go. So, one of the days we found ourselves headed to the pool with a Bryn, Bryn's kickboard, Bryn's boogie board, an extra swim suit for Bryn and Bryn's doll. As I took inventory of all of her things I realized that she had gotten everyone else to carry her stuff and she had nothing. I told Maryn that she didn't have to carry Bryn's boogie board and she said "it's alright, I just want to be helpful."

No comments: